Styling The Christmas Table | 7 Top Tips from Sophie Allport
Our lovely friends at Sophie Allport, have kindly written this insightful blog post about how to dress your Christmas table. Learn more about how to bring a polished finish to your Christmas dining table this festive season.
There's no denying the fact that Christmas lunch is often the highlight of the day.
Something we all look forward to, it’s a time when we can switch off the outside world and enjoy a few merry moments.
Given that so much hard work goes into preparing the meal, shouldn’t your lunch table be a feast for the eyes too?
We’ve got 7 top tips from homewares and lifestyle brand Sophie Allport on styling the perfect Christmas table.
1. Set the scene with matching festive table linens – A festive table runner is a perfect way to give your dining table some Christmas cheer, stretching down the length of the table. Paired with matching placemats and coasters brings the whole look together, as well as protects your table from stains and spillages. Add clusters of twinkling fairy lights for a magical touch.
2. Add glassware for that extra sparkle – Choose cool wintery colours and icy glassware for a wintery touch. Position them beside your candles if you’d like the glassware to reflect the gently flickering flames: it’s a beautiful way to add a little extra glitz and glamour to the dining table. Excellent for toasting a merry Christmas with your loved ones or enjoying a festive gin tipple!
3. Bring your table to life with greenery and foliage – If you’d like a traditional Christmas table setting, you’ll need some greenery. You could forage for ivy and other evergreen foliage, or you could buy some faux Christmas greenery that is long-lasting and can be used each year. Whatever the case, arrange it generously down the length of your dining table, winding it around tall candles and serving plates. A tangle of winter berries will lend charm and Christmas cheer, and you could even spray paint pine cones in gold or silver for a nod to Narnia.
4. Polish your cutlery and display your napkins - Your Christmas table setting needs some beautiful cutlery, so be sure to polish your knives and forks thoroughly for extra shimmer and shine before positioning them on the table. And for a meal with a true sense of occasion, consider laying your cutlery on cotton napkins and tying them with festive red ribbon waiting to be unwrapped like a gift when lunch is served.
5. Crackers add fun and joy for everyone – Christmas crackers are essential for every Christmas table setting, no matter how old you are! They always add a touch of fun and look perfect laid gently across the dinner plates. They’ll also spread some Christmas cheer amongst guests with a playful joke, decoration, and festive hat, perfect for setting the scene.
6. Candles create cosiness and ambience – Pretty tea lights and scented candles add a touch of festive sparkle to any table setting. Try and use a mix of taller candlesticks and shorter tea light holders to add a height differentiation.
7. A little gift goes a long way – A final tip would be to add a personal little gift at everyone’s table setting. You could even incorporate your name cards into the gift as a keepsake, making it a thoughtful touch as well as a delight on the eyes.
For all your festive homeware including table setting essential, kitchen linens, soft furnishings and bedding, Sophie Allport have a wide selection to choose from, as well as plenty of gift ideas for family and friends.