We are now a certified B Corp business!
B Corp Certification
It’s now official, we're excited to share with you that Warner's Distillery is now a certified B Corp!
This is recognition that our actions, alongside other likeminded businesses, are making a positive impact in the world.
What is B Corp?
Certified B Corp are companies who have been independently verified that they meet the highest standards of social and environmental performance. A rigorous certification process holistically assessing the company’s performance and decision making for society and the environment.
It is recognition of good business (not just good products), where business is driving a more equitable and regenerative future.
It’s a legally binding commitment to the environment and society where companies are held to account through continual monitoring and assessment of their impacts, and it’s a commitment that we are in it for the long haul, requiring recertification every 3 years.
What’s does buying from a B Corp mean for you?
If you, like us, know that where we spend our money has an impact, then who you buy from, and what they stand for is important. For example, spending with an independent, family-owned company could mean the difference between contributing towards that family maintaining their jobs and income, rather than contributing towards multinational corporate shareholders. Another example is purchasing from businesses owned by women or those from minority groups, which serves to reduce come of the inequalities that we see in society.
By purchasing with companies certified with high levels of environmental responsibility and an active focus on sustainability, you have peace of mind that they are monitoring and actively seeking to reduce their environmental impacts. With a certified B Corp, you can rest assured that your money is supporting a business that practices what it preaches:
- Taking care of its workers
- Prioritising and taking care of the planet
- Having a positive impact on its customers
- Giving back and contributing positively to the community
- Taking a robust approach to its governance
Why did we go on the Journey?
We recognise that the collective effort of business has the power to make the positive changes we want to see in the world. Together we can drive change.
As an independent family-owned business, we want to grow the business in a way that serves the people we work with and sustains the environment we rely on. The principles of B Corp help give us the tools we need to make the right choices, provides awareness of our responsibilities and develops our ways of working.
How long did it take us?
We started our B Corp certification journey in October 2019 when we completed our Baseline Impact Assessment (BIA) and we fell short of the 80points needed for certification. Identifying we needed to be much better in collecting data, and monitoring consumption data over an annual period, it wasn’t until the end of 2020 that we got to grips with our metrics. All the while, we were reviewing and improving our policies and procedures and in April 2021 we pressed go on our certification. Such was the demand for B Corp certification, it wasn’t until the summer of 2022 we were assigned our standards analyst and certified in August.
Some of the initiatives we are proud of through our B Corp journey
Our staff come first, providing training, wellbeing initiatives and support networks
- We may be independently owned, but our staff have share options
- We give paid volunteering opportunities for our staff
- 1% of revenue goes to deliver environmental action
- Acting for nature at Falls Farm and with our customers, formulating a business response to Nature Positive by 2030.
- We are measuring and monitoring our carbon footprint and have set targets to reduce our emissions in a journey towards Net Zero.
- We say no to plastic, promoting recycling and re-use within our operations and for our customers.
- Viewing ‘Trash as Treasure’ and seeing food waste as an opportunity
- Building closer relationships with our supply chain, shining a light on environmental and social performance.
- Developing partnerships which drive positive impact.
- Communicating to our consumers the importance of taking care of nature and our planet, with a hope to drive positive change.